Airtel Kenya has joined the list of telecommunication companies in Kenya that have an Airtel eSIM(also known as Airtel Kenya eSIM). They have launched their eSIM today and their users have an opportunity of getting an eSIM for free from any airtel outlet near them. In this article, I will be telling you what an eSIM is, what you need to get an eSIM, where to get it, and if your smartphone can support one.
Today we are happy to launch eSIM (embedded SIM), a digital SIM that enables customers to access same functionality as someone using a physical SIM. pic.twitter.com/J6YwI4okba
— Airtel Kenya (@AIRTEL_KE) February 23, 2023
What is an eSIM
I know everyone knows about SIM cards and their evolution in the past few years. These SIM cards have gradually changed in size over the years from Mini SIM, Micro SIM, and Nano SIM to the now latest eSIM. Now if you are asking what an eSIM is, it is an embedded SIM that has the same function as the other types of SIM cards you use, but in this case, the eSIM is embedded into your Smartphone or iPhone device.
Because it is embedded, you can guess that this eSIM won’t be removable from your phone, and you won’t even want to have a SIM card tray on your phone. As cool as this is, am sure there are some of its disadvantages you might think about it and I will discuss them in the disadvantages section of this article.
How the Airtel eSIM works
If you Telecommunications company, like Airtel Kenya, supports the eSIM system, you have to visit their branch and register for one. You will be required to scan a QR code and your Airtel line details and data will be transferred to your embedded eSIM device. Multiple numbers can be transferred to your eSIM which is one of the benefits of getting an Airtel eSIM today.
Advantages of getting an eSIM
Some of the benefits of using an Airtel eSIM include:
- It makes it really easier to use multiple phone numbers on the same phone. Most phones have a two-card slot, and it is difficult for a person who has more than 2 sim cards, to use all of them at once, without replacing one. With eSIM, you can easily switch between networks because it can accommodate multiple numbers.
- It will be easier to buy data plans(One-off data plans). This will be especially useful when you removing from one country or continent to another. You could just do some research prior to you travelling to telco companies that are available and which one is the cheapest.
- Airtel Kenya eSIM can also support smart devices like smartwatches. This is not only for Airtel Kenya eSIM but for all eSIM.
- Having an Airtel eSIM is also more secure as it is embedded in your device. Remember, the first thing someone who steals your smartphone device does is remove your SIM card from the device. This is so that they won’t be able to be tracked via the network. This would be impossible with eSIM.
Disadvantages of Using an eSIM
- You need to visit an Airtel branch in order to switch your Airtel lines. I wish the process was easy enough to do at home.
- Switching networks will require that you have access to an internet connection. This is because Airtel eSIM comes with an app for this, and this app requires an internet connection. Therefore, no internet, and no switching lines.
- Not all smartphones support the eSIM and therefore not everyone will be able to get an Airtel eSIM which is really disappointing because this will mean that you get a new smartphone to get access to an Airtel Kenya eSIM
Which Smartphones in Kenya Support Airtel Kenya’s eSIM cards
As I mentioned earlier, not all phones can support this new Airtel feature, and therefore you will need to upgrade to a higher-spec device with this function. Some of the devices that support an esim in Kenya include;
- Samsung Galaxy S series device.
- iPhone 11 series devices.
- Google Pixel smartphone, though it is not sold locally in Kenya.
- iPhone 12
- iPhone XR, XS, and XS Max.
If you have not seen your device among these mentioned above, and you would like to know if your phone supports the Airtel Kenya eSIM, use the following steps to find out;
- Open your phone’s dialer application.
- Dial *#06# and press the call button.
- If your device displays an EID number, then your device is supported. If it only shows your EMI number, then am sorry, your phone does not support the eSIM function.
How To Get an Airtel eSIM and Activate it
Airtel has announced that anyone who gets an airtel eSIM today will get it for free. Therefore, it is better for you to get one now before charges are introduced later on as in the case of Faiba eSIM and Safaricom eSIM which were launched in the past few years.
- To get an Airtel Kenya eSIM. If you don’t know any Airtel Outlet near you, dial *100# to find one.
- Visit an Airtel Outlet near you with your Original ID card and your phone. You could also use your passport.
- You will be provided with a QR code that you need to scan using your phone.’
- Your eSIM setting will be downloaded into your phone for the successful transfer of your Airtel Line data
Done, you are now one of the very few who have had the chance to SIMless today.
You must log in to post a comment.