In this guide, I will show you straightforward methods to check your MTN number in South Africa. Have you ever found yourself in a situation where you need to give someone your MTN number but you do not have it memorised? Then this guide will help you get in very simple steps, for example, the most common method of finding out your MTN number is using the USSD code *123*888# or *123*1*1# to find your MTN number.
Feel free to use the table of contents below to jump to the specific section of the article to see other methods you can use to check MTN numbers in South Africa.
How To Check MTN Numbers in South Africa
Using MTN’s Number Checking USSD Code
This is probably the simplest and most common method of finding your number if you are using MTN in South Africa. This method is free of charge and what you need to do is;
- Open your phone’s dialer application.
- Dial *123*888#, or use *123*1*1# and then press the call button.
- Your MTN number will automatically be displayed on your screen.
- Done. You can now save it somewhere for future reference.
Please note that this will work only if you are using your MTN sim card. If you try using another MTN sim card to do this, it wont be successful.
Using The MTN Mobile Application
Another method will involve using your MTN mobile application to find your number. The disadvantage of this method is that you require an internet connection for the steps to work. To find your MTN number using the MTN mobile application;
- Go to your Google Playstore for Android or Apple Playstore for IOS.
- Search for the MTN App and install it.
- Open the just-installed MTN app.
- Enter your Sign-in details, which include your Username or Email and Password.
- After you sign in, you will see your MTN number on your App user dashboard, or you can also click on Profile, and My details to also see your MTN number.
If you are not yet register for the MTN mobile app, you will need to first of all create an account
Using Another Phone To Find Your MTN Number
This method is straightforward but will involve using another phone. What you need to do is have airtime on your MTN number. You will then call the other number on your cellphone. The other will receive the call and will display your number on the screen. You can then copy this number.
So if it is a situation where someone else is asking for your MTN number, you could ask them to give you their number, call them, and ask them to save the number that has just called as yours. Pretty simple right?
Using MTN South Africa Website To Check Your Number
If you have a smartphone, laptop or computer around, with a stable internet connection, you can visit MTN South Africa’s official website, log in to your account and find your MTN number easily. This will require you to create an account or sign in to your account. You can visit the MTN website by clicking here.
After you sign in to your account, click on My Account, and then My Details to see your number. Done, you can then screenshot the details and keep it in a memorable place for future reference.
Finding Your MTN Number Via SMS
With this method, you will need to have another phone with you, maybe a friend’s. Ask them to give you their number. It doesn’t necessarily have to be an MTN number. What you do next is send a message to their number, for example saying “Hi”. They will receive an SMS from your number, and you will be able to see the number on their phone.
Using MTN Please Call Me Service
MTN came up with a service called Please Call Me, which allows a user to request another to call them. This service is free, meaning you can send out a Please Call Me request even when your account does not have any airtime. This method is similar to the above method because when the request is sent, the other person will receive an SMS from your number.
To send out a Please Call Me request on MTN;
- Open your dialer app and dial *121*Other Persons Number#, for example, if the other person’s number is 0712345678, then you will dial *121*0712345678#.
- Click on the call button, and wait for the SMS to arrive on the other person’s phone.
Checking SIM Card For MTN Number
Am sure when you bought your MTN SIM card, you were able to see your Phone number on the card. You can check that card again to see your MTN number – That is if you never misplaced the card. You can also open your SIM Card slot, and take out your MTN SIM card to see if your number is engraved there.
Sending An SMS Request To MTN For Your Number
For this method, you will need to use your SMS app to send a request to MTN so that they can send you your number. To do this;
- Open your messages app, and create a new message.
- On the recipient’s field, enter either 663, 121, 136 or 123(Choose one).
- On the SMS field, enter “My Number” and send the message.
Checking MTN Phone Number Via Phone Settings
If you are an Android user, you can check your MTN number by;
- Open your phone menu, then go to settings.
- Go to the About Phone section of your settings
- Click on Status, and there you will see your phone number.
For those using IOS;
- Go to Settings, then click on General, then About.
Contacting MTN Customer Care For Help
Lastly, if you have tried all the above methods and you have not been able to find your MTN number, I will advice you to call MTN customer care through their number(135). When speaking to a customer care representative, ask them to if they can show you your MTN number.
They may need to verify your name and maybe ask for your South Africa ID number or Passport number. They will then send your details via SMS.
Final Words and Quick Tip
I hope this article was useful. If so share with your friends and family. In case of any enquiry, leave a comment in the comments section and I will get back to you as soon as possible. Make sure you subscribe to my weekly newsletter so that you will be among the first to be notified when I upload a new article.
How to check MTN number South Africa Using MTN
Dial *123*888# to see your MTN number